Monday, January 2, 2012

Penne with Baby Peas and Feta

Healthy recipe #1 I found this recipe in my textbook for my Natural Wellness program so I thought I’d give it a try.  Hmmmmm my thoughts…not too bad.  Mind you I am a picky eater and not a great cook (not a bad one either tho J) First thing, now that I’ve made it I’m not sure if the 1 pound measurement for the pasta was for it dry or cooked.  I assumed dry and went with a 14.5oz box.  My opinion, way too much pasta.  I would cut that amount in half.  Second, I would dice the sundried tomatoes instead of slicing them. 
Third, I wasn’t thrilled about how soupy the broth was.  I would’ve preferred it a little thicker.  I will definitely try it again with these few changes and see how it turns out.  I’ve included a little Tid-bit nutrition fun facts about one of the ingredients.  Speaking of which, I would definitely add more peas to this recipe as well!!



 

Penne with Baby Peas and Feta

1 pound Penne pasta, cooked
1 cup chicken broth
½ cup baby green peas (fresh or frozen)
2 boneless chicken breasts, grilled and sliced into strips
¼ cup sun dried tomatoes, sliced
½feta
¼ cup parmesan, grated
2 teaspoons minced garlic
2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
1 tablespoon olive oil

Pour a tablespoon of olive oil into a pan over medium heat.  Add 2 teaspoons minced garlic and 2 tablespoons finely chopped onion.  Sauté 2-3 minutes until aromatic. Deglaze with the chicken broth and 2 cups of water.  Simmer 4-5 minutes until reduced by a 1/3.  Toss in the cheese, tomatoes, chicken and pasta.  Stir well.  Add the peas and cook until tender, about 3 minutes.

Tid-Bit Nutrition from Vintage Remedies Natural Wellness program

Peas-In general peas offer vitamins A, K, C, and B complex, as well as calcium, fiber, iron, and potassium.  Peas are great bone builders, as not only do they offer calcium, but vitamin K, which leads to optimal bone mineralization.  They are also healthy for digestion, and help strengthen the liver.

No comments:

Post a Comment